Monday 6 July 2015

When is motivation at its highest? (apart from new year).

After the weekend I have noticed is when peoples motivation for weight loss is at it's highest.
Gyms are at their busiest the first day after the weekend.
I am not sure how bad their lifestyles are at the week end, but everyone has their focused face on after the week end!
To be honest I get it, I enjoy nothing more on at least one day to get away from the healthy lifestyle, to take a break.
The only reason it works for me is that my good days consistently out number my bad, that's it!
I know I'm a personal trainer, but I'm not all that crazy about exercise!
What I do like is the healthy feeling it gives me and being in quite good shape.
Today is the day people exercise post week end, motivation is at a high point for the week and what I want to go through is the best modalities of exercise for weight loss.
The answer is the one that gives you the biggest after burn after you have finished or EPOC (Excess post exercise oxygen consumption). (I sound like I just swallowed a text book!).
Nutrition is number one for weight loss, but 2nd is Strength Training, anything that stimulates muscle and big exercises, could be traditional like using Dumbbells, or could be body weight like Squats and Press ups, but it could take Metabolism up to 48 hours to come back down after you finish! Big exercises (lots of muscle groups at once) performed in a circuit is the most effective. 

3rd is Cardio interval training, periods of work and recovery, any method. I like using one minute steady and 30 seconds fast, everyone I help and train doesn't mind working hard for 30 seconds at a time!
Then repeat, dosen't have to be long.
The metabolism takes about 6-8 hours to come back down after.
Next is steady state or same speed cardio, jogging or anything where the intensity stays the same through out.
Metabolism comes back down after about 1-2 hours, regardless of duration.

The best option? Do strength training type exercises, followed by Interval Cardio!

The worst option is inactivity! I don't know anyone trying to get any result, that achieved it through inactivity!
I said it before most types of exercise are not that interesting or just uncomfortable, being sweaty or cold if it's outside, or wet. When you are forming a habit, that's the hard part, keep going though until it all becomes second nature!
The question is are the results worth it? Are all the benefits you are going to experience personal to you worth having?

No comments:

Post a Comment