Monday 6 November 2017

Maybe you are losing despite what the weighing scale says...

I’m quite sure I have mentioned it before...

I’m not a great fan of weighing scales...

They don’t tell you the big picture...

It’s not always bad if you gain or stay the same...

Not always good if you lose, good for the mood I know...

Maybe there are alternative ways to measure...

Let’s be honest, most of us really want to lose and shape up to look better...

I know I do!...

The scales don’t always tell us that...

Graphs that measure BMI don’t always give us the big picture regarding our health for that matter...

What about some other ways??!!...

I would measure this with people, even when I started way back when...

The waist to hips ratio...

Here is the scenario...

You are feeling miserable, you got on the scales and despite even doing strength type exercise regularly, despite making very good food choices, even having to be extra strong at week ends not to go off track too much...

The scales say you are exactly the same...

Despite all that, absolutely no progress what’s so ever...

I know I would be asking the same question - “What is the point??!!”...

But then you decide a second opinion is needed, recently you recorded your waist to hips ratio...

(Measuring circumference of tummy and hips and taken a ratio)

You notice, that the tummy measurement has decreased!...

Progress after all...

You have lost fat, but gained a little bit of metabolism boosting muscle and health inducing hydration is up too...

You thought you looked a bit better...

Muscle doesn’t weigh more than fat, a pound of each is the same, but the same amount of muscle is much more dense and takes up way less room hence inch loss!...

A waist to hips ratio is always a good measurer of health, a ratio of 0.8 or less is healthy for ladies...

Unlike how much you weigh, there is no second guessing...

There are many other ways - how tight clothes are for example...

And I know it’s important but, all measurements don’t have to be about aesthetics...

How about how you feel? How you deal with stress, your strength, sleeping patterns?...

Energy levels are a good one...

At the beginning I like asking people I’m working with how confident they are at achieving their goal (out of 10)...

Then later on, I ask again (they rarely remember what they said)...

When the number is higher, they realise they must be making progress and that their out look has changed...

It’s quite powerful when someone realised they are actually more confident about getting results...

You can do this...

Ed ( When I took a waist measurement I would always stay there for a minute or two, wait for that big exhaling of breath to come) Stride.

No comments:

Post a Comment